A Brief HistoryThe First Presbyterian Church in Ocean City started as a Union Sunday School in 1892. Founded years later, a sanctuary was erected at North Division Street at a cost of $1000. At that time the work at Ocean City was under the direction of Buckingham Presbyterian Church of Berlin and was known as the Ocean City Mission Chapel.
On April 4, 1909 representatives of Presbytery met with 34 charter members and formed the First Presbyterian Church of Ocean City. Later a manse was built adjoining the church property.
The church continued to prosper and grow over the years. A crisis occured in 1944 when a severe storm wrecked the church. There was no pastor at that time but the laymen and women banded themselves together and raised enough money to repair the church and enlarge and refurbish it. Since that time, the church has been firmly established and wonderfully sustained by its remarkable and dedicated lay leaders.
After an unsuccessful attempt to purchase adjoining property for expansion of the church and parking facilities, the congregation bought four lots at 13th Street and Philadelphia Avenue in 1955 at a cost of $16,000. The present church was erected in the early sixties at a cost of $225,000. The first service of worship was held in the present building on June 16, 1963.
In February 1966, the church members acquired the present manse adjoining the church property, which has served our pastors and their families well.
The 1st Presbyterian Church of Ocean City continues to serve the spiritual needs of our members and visitors. We have an active congregation of 110 members who participate in a wide range of programs and activities. All through the years we have been nurtured and guided by able pastors. Our primary goal is that Christ comes first at First Presbyterian Church of Ocean City.